Thursday, August 7, 2008

Here we go...

The first day at the hospital went well. Korey stayed with me my first night and it was very nice seeing her face in the morning. I had a trifusion line placed which will be used to administer chemotherapy and to receive the donated stem cells. The end of the line lies exterior of the skin with three tips (lumens) which could be used simultaneously. This line up and over my ribs then connects to a major artery in my chest. I also received the first of six rounds of chemotherapy which I had little effects other than a little chest pain and nausea.

I will receive chemotherapy everyday for six days then they'll give me a day off. Next, I will receive my sister's generously donated stem cells. Unlike the stem cells in the media all the time, these cells are not embryonic stem cells. These are what doctor's call peripheral stem cells which can be found in the blood stream of everyone. These cells are capable of turning into red blood cells, white blood cells or platelets. Their purpose will be to migrate to my bones and recreate bone marrow after the chemo has wiped out the pre-existing bone marrow. An alleogenic transplant does not rely on the chemotherapy to fight the cancer. This type of transplant relies on the T cells (cancer fighting cells) of the donor to fight the cancer. Very interesting stuff. It's amazing what the human body can tolerate and what the field of medicine has been able to accomplish.

On another note, I get to stay in one of the nicest hospital rooms I've ever been in. There's a very nice view of tree tops and a few buildings for as far as you can see. It's very clean and quiet. You can't ask for much more. So far so good. Thanks for the prayers and support.

No comments: